Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Covered Seats and Blue Table

Here is my table before I started my project

I painted it and our stools with four coats of blue paint and then covered the stools in fabric.
Her is a tutorial on how to cover stools!

Materials needed:
1 yard of material
1/4" elastic around 2 yds of it.
Wood glue if you want them to stay more put on the seat.
(Note: I used this much fabric to cover 4 seats. Also tutorial is for one seat cover, repeat to make more.)

1. Lay your stool upside down and trace the circle added a 1/4" seam allowance. I held my pencil strait down from the edge of the stool and it gave me the 1/4" allowance that I needed because of the shape of the stool.



you can angle you pencil in to trace the exact size of the circle and then add 1/4" seam allowance, Or: 


You can put the pencil straight up and flat on your edge to get the extra 1/4".


My circle's diameter is 11 3/4".

2. Cut a strip that is 38" by 4". This is the circumference of the stool. If yours is bigger or smaller change the dimensions to fit yours.

3. Sew the ends of your strip together, right sides together. 


4. Fold and iron strips 1/4". Once you have done this all the way around, fold another 1/2" and iron.


5. Edge stitch strip. Leave 1/2" hole for the elastic to go through.

6. Pin your circle and and the raw side of your strip together, right sides together.

Sew with 1/4" seam allowance.

7. Cut a piece of elastic 26" long. Put a safety pin at the end of the piece of elastic and thread it through your 1/2" hole on your strip. Sew ends of elastic together after you have pulled it through the whole strip.

Then sew the hole shut.

8. At the end they look like this

And here is my end product!


3 comments:

  1. Way to take on the challenge. You are so talented. They look so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, impressive Syd! Where did you get the tables and stools from? They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! We got the table from Casey's grandparents neighbor who does lots of woodwork. (he would be really upset if he found out I painted it blue...) and then a teacher I worked with was getting rid of her chairs and I asked if I could have them!

    ReplyDelete